Follow our progress!
There are new and exciting things happening and a brand new studio is in the works! Follow our progress and watch as we transform this old historic Kutztown building (251 W. Main Street) back into the gem it was meant to be. When we purchased the property it required some serious tender loving care, everything from structural repairs to cosmetic details, and a total renovation is underway.
( Click on images to enlarge )
The Original Building
Spring time is in the air and it's time to start thinking about clearing the yard. In time, this will be an outside area with wisteria hanging overhead.
Although the kitchen was functional, it definitely needs an update. We decided to remove the ceiling and wall covering hoping to find original brick under all those layers and as luck would have it, there it was! Although it looks pretty bad now, when finished it is going to be a custom hand crafted kitchen with center island. We can't wait to have friends, family and clients visit and share this historic treasure with us.
New Kitchen Coming Late July
Next Up: Exterior Paint - Watch for painting to begin week of June 27th!
7/5/16 New gutters and downspouts finished and the back of the house painting has started!
Work in progress
7/17 - Now that the back of the house is painted it's time to start tearing out everything in the yard. First to go are the remaining trees before the fence is taken out. It has to get worse before it gets better.
We purchased the property March 2016 and the first thing on our list were new windows throughout, and by mid April it was the first item checked off of our to-do list.
While we waited for the windows it was demo time! Removing interior walls to make way for the studio and editing room was pure labor....but worth every sore muscle.
In late April we decided we needed a clean and finished place to work. Dakota tackled the dreaded wall paper removal and in no time had it finished. A fresh coat of paint and new ceiling fan were added and the results were amazing!
Next on the list was a structural beam that needed to be replaced. Powderpost beetles did some serious past damage to the main cross beam in the basement and needed to go. After talking with an engineer, it was decided that 3 structural beams should be replaced/added both in the basement and on the first floor due to the age of the building. We also decided to add a 4th beam above a new opening that will lead from the hallway into the studio. Let the municipal zoning permits process begin!
As of the first week of June 2016, all beams have been replaced and things are moving forward. Framing is complete, now waiting for the electrician followed by the drywall crew.
Next (mid June) it's time to start thinking about the front window. We are in the process of replacing the old glass store front window into something stronger and with more eye appeal. Removing wood panels from both the top and bottom revealed old broken glass on top and when removing a small portion of the original floor, we found a cut out which back in the early 1900's was a place to back a wagon for picking up and delivering goods.
7/16 - This weekend we decided to rip up the floors to see what was under what looked like many layers of built up flooring on top of each other. It was a nice surprise to find a solid hardwood floor under the first layer. It's pretty crazy and I'm not sure why, but there is another full hardwood floor under this one.
7/19 - The new window arrived this morning and things are starting to look like they are coming together.
8/15/16 - Stopped in at the woodworker today to check on the progress of thekitchen and to choose an edge style for the cabinets. Estimating 2 more weeks til installation.
9/2/16 ~ It's been 2 very busy weeks and things are finally starting to take shape. September will be a busy month with all of our hard work coming together.
9/1 ~ While getting the kitchen ready we took the morning to start the stone wall in the yard. The yard slightly sloped toward the porch after the landscapers were finished so rain water came into the porch. This simple fix will divert the water away so planting can begin.
10/1 ~ September was a busy month ending the first 6 months of renovations. Floors and molding have been laid and the kitchen is almost finished. Lots of details to be added so this is when the fun starts!
By mid October new front doors arrived and have been installed.
Concrete pillars are in place and waiting for stone finishes. Iron railing will be installed between the pillars for a fresh new look out front.
12/11/16 Stone backsplash installed in the kitchen